Saturday, 14 Nov 2015 1:00 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, you are invited to our humbly-named event. This event is family friendly and free! Join us as we sample a wide variety of novel and interesting foods that we hope will become the Future of Food. Our event is focused on trying new foods, education, families, fun, and celebration of the rotation of the seasons!
Why the “future of food”?
No matter what we call it, the world of the future must be some form of permanent culture. By that we mean improving air, water, soil and cultural health each year. Nothing demonstrates the disparity between degenerating and regenerating cultures more than how we grow our food.
Our current food producing model
(1) destroys three-dimensional, fully-functioning, perennial ecosystems and replaces them with mono-cropped, annual grain production,
(2) destroys the base food growing resource that is topsoil and the soil food web, and
(3) has dramatically increased the usage of pesticides (up 854% since 1961), herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers N, P, and K (nitrogen is up 630% in the same timeframe).
The future of food then, will reverse those and other degrading trends by
(1) regenerating three-dimensional fully functioning ecosystems that produce our staple food needs,
(2) regenerate and build topsoil, the soil food web, and improve soil’s water holding capacity, and
(3) decreases our usage of pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers to as close to 0% as we can get.
Join us as we imagine what the future of food looks, tastes, smells, and feels like for Michigan, and more broadly, for the cool temperate biomes of the world.
At this event you can expect to sample a whole range of perennial and novel food sources like (note: this list is not the menu and may be altered)
currant and gooseberry
oak flour breads
and more, RSVP NOW!
Additionally, during the event we will be offering education on the food forest planted at Dawn Farm and on the foods we intend to produce at Dawn Farm over the coming years.
Please RSVP at http://goo.gl/MYUfim
We will be inside a hoop house at Dawn Farm
Please dress in layers – it will be warmer in the hoop than outside
Swing on in – you and your family can come and go anytime between 1pm and 3pm
We will be cycling our education components so that people can come and go as they please and not miss anything
Donation is strongly recommended to help us meet our costs in the of the food/menu
Please RSVP here – this helps us greatly in preparing for the event
Please join us as we welcome the coming of the slow season with great food, merriment, and celebration!
the Cooperative at Dawn Farm